The ESOL Teacher of the Year Award honors two ESOL educators -- K-12 and Higher Education-- who go above and beyond in their job duties inside and outside of the ESOL classroom. This annual award is given to one K-12 and one Higher Education ESOL teacher who have distinguished themselves within that year for specific reasons. Nominees must be ESOL educators in the State of Maryland and a member of Maryland TESOL. The Award is presented at the Annual Spring Dinner & Meeting.
Applicants are evaluated on their ability to:
- inspire students of all backgrounds and abilities to learn.
- have a positive impact on students and colleagues.
- participate in continuing professional development.
- create a supportive and encouraging learning environment by providing quality language instruction based on well-articulated theory, philosophy, educational research and best practice.
- play an active and useful role in the community as well as in the school demonstrated through collaborative partnerships and relationships.
- demonstrate involvement in the field
- demonstrate evidence of positive teacher effect on student learning through formal and/or informal documentation.
- incorporate innovative and effective lesson strategies and evaluation techniques by utilizing new scholarship from TESOL or related fields.
- demonstrate a commitment to English language teaching.
This annual award is given to one K-12 and one Higher Education ESOL teacher who have distinguished themselves within that year for specific reasons. Nominees must be ESOL educators in the State of Maryland and a member of Maryland TESOL. One K-12 and one Higher Education teacher will be awarded each year.
Nomination Submission Deadline: End of March
Nomination Review Timeline: Nominations will be reviewed in April.
Notification: Annual spring dinner & meeting in May.
- Nominator Information
- Nomination Statement (maximum 4,000 characters)
- Nominee Information
- Supporting Documents
The award is non-competitive.
The Awards Committee will consider all nominees meeting the sustained and exemplary test criteria for the award.
The Award is presented at the Annual Spring Dinner & Meeting.
The Award winner will receive the following:
NOMINATIONS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED THROUGH APRIL 5th
SUBMIT YOUR NOMINATION HERE